- What is Alkaline Water?
- How does it taste compared to tap water?
- The tap water where I live is considered good quality drinking water. Why do I need a Santevia alkaline water filter?
- What does low ORP mean and why is it important?
- What are anti-oxidants and why are they important?
- Is there research to support drinking alkaline water?
- Is alkaline water safe for children and pregnant women to drink?
- Santevia Alkaline Pitchers
- Santevia Gravity Water Systems (Countertop & Dispenser Models)
- Santevia Alkaline Sticks and Flasks
- Santevia Shower Filter
- General Questions
1. What is alkaline water? Natural water on our planet ranges in pH from 6.5 to 9.0, depending on surrounding soil and vegetation, seasonal variations and weather, and even time of day responses to sunlight. Human activities further influence the pH of our water, from the barrage of toxic industrial pollutants. Alkaline water is water that has a pH level higher than seven. Creating alkaline water can be done multiple ways. Santevia alkaline water is created through the addition of natural alkaline minerals which work to raise the pH of the water to 9+. Drinking and cooking with alkaline water has been found to increase vitality and energy levels, clean and detoxify the body and decrease the symptoms of some illnesses.
2. How does it taste compared to tap water? Many people find alkaline water tastes and feels smoother than conventional tap water. This is due to the fact that the water molecules of alkaline water forms take on a smaller cluster size and a more regular shape than the molecules in conventional water. Alkaline water provides the body with more abundant levels of oxygen than tap water, which is why it leaves you feeling like you have more energy. It makes better quality and better tasting coffee, tea and juice as well. Alkaline water is excellent as water for cooking as well because the added oxygen helps to hydrate the food and bring out its flavor.
3. The tap water where I live is considered good quality drinking water. Why do I need a Santevia alkaline water filter? Municipalities deliver water to our homes and businesses that is filtered then treated with a primary disinfection to kill any bacteria and viruses found in the water, and a secondary disinfection using trace levels of chlorine to prevent a re-growth of bacteria as it travels to our taps and showers. Although our tap water is considered safe, the public water supplies in most cities in North America still contain trace amounts of contaminants such as disinfection by-products and pharmaceutical drugs. Only by using an additional home water filter will you be able to remove these harmful elements from your water. The Santevia water filtration products have been independently tested to reduce chlorine taste and odor, and the presence of heavy metals, industrial chemicals and agricultural contaminants. Additionally, your Santevia Alkaline water filter will work not just to purify your tap water but also to improve its quality through raising the pH and re-mineralizing your water with calcium and magnesium. Not only does this improve the taste of your water, but it also ensures you are getting the alkaline balanced and mineralized water your body needs to be at it’s healthiest.
4. What does low ORP mean and why is it important? Oxidation describes the rates at which something degrades. ORP stands for oxidation reduction potential; it is a measure of the tendency of a chemical species to acquire electrons and thereby be reduced or to break down. It is measured in millivolts (mV) and can easily be measured with an ORP meter. A negative ORP reading indicates that a substance will give electrons and reduce other cells. The lower the reading, the less likely it will be to oxidize molecules around it making it an ‘anti-oxidant’. Santevia alkaline water has a reduced ORP value, meaning that it works to slow down the degradation of your cells. Most other types of water have a much higher ORP and will thus oxidize surrounding cells (causing them to break down and age faster).
5. What are anti-oxidants and why are they important? Anti-oxidants are molecules that are capable of slowing or preventing the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that transfers electrons from a substance to an oxidizing agent. Involved in oxidation reactions are free radicals that work as intermediate steps to make a chain of oxidizing reactions that damage cells. Antioxidants terminate these chain reactions by removing the free radical intermediates and inhibit other oxidation reactions by being oxidized themselves. Anti-oxidants are nature’s way of fighting off potentially dangerous molecules, free radicals, in the body. Free radicals come in the forms of pesticides, plastics and chlorine by-products. They are unstable molecules that feed off otherwise healthy molecules in order to survive. They are introduced into the body every day causing cell damage that can lead to chronic or degenerative diseases such as heart attacks, strokes, arthritis, vision problems, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and some types of cancer if left unchecked. The body creates its own anti-oxidants to neutralize free radicals; however, the body is only capable of producing a certain amount of anti-oxidants on its own. At the same time, we are faced with an increasing number of environmental toxins in everyday life. That is why it is important to eat foods rich in antioxidants such as vitamins C, E, beta carotene, bioflavonoids, zinc, selenium and alpha lipoid acid and to choose to drink water with low ORP values that provide the body with an added source of anti-oxidants to fight free radicals.
6. Is there research to support drinking alkaline water? There is a growing body of research to support the benefits of maintaining your body at its optimum alkalinity of 7.36pH and an understanding of how drinking alkaline water can assist in maintaining this balance. Well know organizations, such as the World Health Organization conducted research regarding the need for mineralized drinking water. A number of authors have summarized this scientific data into easy to read books that help educate consumers. A selection of topical books (many more available):
- Dr. Michelle Schoffro Cook, The Ultimate pH Solution. This book includes an extensive bibliography of related scientific papers.
- Dr. Richard Snyder, DO – What You Must Know About Kidney Disease, This book focuses in on the Kidney Disease and pH balance. Dr. Snyder also has a research paper specifically on the benefits of alkaline water and kidney patients.
- Dr. Robert O Young, The pH Miracle and The pH Miracle for Weight Loss
A selection of Scientific Papers (many more available):
- Nutrients in Water, World Health Organization, ISBN 92 4 159398 9 (NLM classification: WA 687)
- Potential Benefits of pH 8.8 Alkaline Drinking Water as an Adjunct in the Treatment of Reflux Disease, Jamie A. Koufman, MD; Nikki Johnston, PhD
- Effects of Induced Metabolic Alkalosis on Prolonged Intermittent-Sprint Performance, DAVID BISHOP and BRETT CLAUDIUS Team Sport Research Group, The University of Western Australia,Crawley, AUSTRALIA
- Effects of bicarbonate –alkaline mineralized water on gastric functions and functional dyspepsia, Pharmacological Research, Vol 46, Issue 6, 525-531 Berton, et.al.
7. Is alkaline water safe for children and pregnant women to drink? Alkaline water is perfectly safe for everyone to drink, including children and pregnant women. Alkaline water helps to balance out the acidic foods in their diet. Pregnant women benefit from the added mineral content in Santevia’s alkaline water. While the growing baby takes from its mother’s natural mineral stores, Santevia’s mineralized alkaline water helps to restore the mineral levels in the mother’s body and reduces her risk of osteoporosis or calcium deficiency later in life. A number of midwives recommend Santevia Alkaline water to reduce the muscle cramping which many women experience during pregnancy.
For step by step instructions on the Santevia Water Pitcher, watch the How To video on our website.
- How do I condition my 5 stage filter?
- Run water through the top of your 5 stage filter until the water runs clear out the bottom.
- Gently tap the 5 stage at the black carbon layer, turning the filter as you tap.
- Watch the Santevia Gravity Countertop HOW TO VIDEO
- What are the dimensions of Santevia countertop and Dispenser model?
- The countertop is 23.5 inches in height and 12.25 in diameter at the bottom.
- The top tank holds 5 liters or 1.32 gallons and the bottom tank holds 10 liters or 2.64 gallons
- How do I deal with algae?
- Algae spores are in the air and in our tap water. Algae often explodes in growth in the summer when heat and sunlight are at their greatest.
- The blue/green algae we most commonly see is not harmful to your health and it can be removed from your system with a good cleaning of your system.
- Conduct a semi-annual cleaning of your system as outlined in your manual
- Watch the Gravity System HOW TO get rid of Algae video (link above)
- Do I have to change my 5 stage filter every 6 months even if it’s only me drinking the water?
- We recommend changing your filters every 4-6 months.
- Each filter is rated for 1500 liters or 396 gallons so you can do the math and figure out how much you are drinking BUT you must not go longer than 6 months because bacteria can build up in your filter.
- How do I adjust the FLOAT valve on my dispenser unit?
- The cup of the float valve is attached to the stem by a threaded piece.
- Hold the stem by placing your thumb and finger on the treads and twist the cup.
- You can lengthen or shorten the stem by twisting the plastic lock nut up or down the stem
- Shorten the stem if your dispenser overflows or leaks
- Lengthen the stem if your dispenser does not fill enough
- You may need to watch this process on our HOW TO VIDEO!
- What do the mineral stones do?
- The mineral stones contain calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc and other trace minerals.
- The stones continuously release ionized minerals for up to 5 years. The highly porous mineral stones aid in the oxygenation of water and in the adjustment of the water to mild alkaline.
- The stones gradually deplete in size – when you notice the stones getting smaller it’s time to replace them.
- How do I clean my stick and flask? How often?
- To clean your stick and flask use boiling water and let cool.
- Fill a kettle with tap water and bring to a boil. Fill your flask or a cup or water bottle with your stick in it. Leave it to sit until the water is cool. Pour out the water, fill with clean water and go!
- We recommend that you clean your stick and bottle once a week.
- Watch the video – it’s easy and fast to clean your Santevia stick and flask.
- Can I leave my stick in a water bottle? Can I leave the basket in the flask?
- We recommend cleaning the stick (by boiling in water) once a week.
- Most people also leave their basket of minerals in their flask. Make sure the basket is clicked into place.
- Shake, shake, shake to get the minerals quickly into your water!
- Don’t forget to clean your stick/water bottle or flask every week.
- If I leave water in my flask longer than 10 minutes will the pH continue to rise?
- The pH will rise to somewhere in the low 9 range (based on neutral tap water of 7) and stop
- If you leave your water in the flask for a long period of time (48hrs+) please discard and refill – most people find the minerals in the water make the taste too strong.
4. Can I use hot water in my flask?
- YES – your flask is a double walled stainless steel vessel and you can use hot or cold water in it.
- What minerals are in my stick and flask?
- Pi Minerals naturally make water mildly alkaline, have anti-bacterial and deodorizing qualities giving your eater a fresh taste.
- Maifan Minerals contain trace elements like calcium, iron, zinc, and magnesium - no selenium.
- Calcium Minerals add calcium to the water. Calcium and magnesium rich water has a higher PH and that is better than acidic water. In general our population is de-mineralized so getting key minerals in your water is good for your health!
- Far Infrared balls helps create micro-clustered ionized water it breaks down the clumps of water molecules into smaller groups to allow our bodies to more effectively absorb the water.
1. What does the Santevia do?
- Removes 95% of residual chlorine and chloramines
- Decreases heavy metals
- Restores natural softness to hair, scalp and skin
2. What is NMC? The stuff in the shower filter!
- NMC is a new shower filtration media. NMC stands for nano-metal clusters and has 10 times the water purification efficiency of KDF55.
- NMC can reduce free chlorine, heavy metal ions, organics and contaminants.
- The shower filter also has mineral balls and non-phosphorus micro balls to naturally soften the water. (helps your hair and skin stay soft too!)
3. How long will the Santevia shower filter last?
- Approximately 50,000 liters or 13,200 gallons (depending on water conditions)
- This works out to about 4-6 months or 800 ten minute showers
4. How big is the Santevia shower filter?
- 5.25 inches in length and 2.75 inches in diameter.
For more step by step instructions, watch the Santevia Shower Filter How To video on our website.
- Are the Santevia products BPA free?
- Yes – all Santevia products are BPA & BPB free
- How can I test the pH of my water?
- Use a Santevia Water Test kit
- You cannot use litmus paper to test water
- Going on holidays – what do I do?
- Pitcher - Put your system full of water, in the refrigerator
- Stick/flask (dry out and leave in a dry place)
- Gravity Systems – if gone longer than 2 weeks, place the 5 stage filter in a ziplock in the refrigerator
- What type of testing is done on the Santevia products?
- Santevia has two in house testing laboratories; research and development; quality assurance
- Santevia products are regularly tested at our in house laboratories using the NSF 42 protocols ensuring that they meet or exceed NSF 42
- Third party laboratory testing is also completed on a regular basis to ensure that our products meet the standards set out for quality and performance
- How do I find a retail store near me?
- Go to the Santevia website www.santevia.com
- Look at the top left to see our STORE FINDER