Alkaline water is water with a pH (hydrogen potential) higher than 7.0 on the pH spectrum.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is alkaline water?
Natural water on our planet ranges in pH from 6.5 to 9.0, depending on surrounding soil and vegetation, seasonal variations and weather, and even time of day responses to sunlight. Human activities, such as industrial processes that result in a barrage of toxic pollutants, further influence the pH of our water.
Alkaline water can be produced in a number of ways. Santevia alkaline water is created through the addition of natural alkaline minerals which work to raise the pH of the water to between 8.5 and 9.5 on the pH scale.
Drinking and cooking with alkaline water has been found to increase vitality and energy levels, clean and detoxify the body and decrease the symptoms of some illnesses.
How does it taste compared to tap water?
Many people find Santevia alkaline water tastes and feels smoother than conventional tap water. This difference results from the addition of beneficial trace minerals into the water, which provide a “smooth” taste. The products are designed to recreate water from a fresh mountain stream. Santevia alkaline water can be used for drinking, cooking, and to make better-tasting coffee and tea!
The tap water where I live is considered good quality. Why do I need a Santevia alkaline water filter?
Municipalities deliver water to our homes and businesses that is filtered and then treated with a primary disinfection to kill any bacteria and viruses. This is followed by a secondary disinfection using trace levels of chlorine to prevent the growth of bacteria as it travels to our taps and showers.
Although our tap water is considered safe, the public water supplies in most cities in North America still contain trace amounts of contaminants such as disinfection by-products, pharmaceutical drugs and heavy metals (including lead, iron,and copper from aging pipes). A good example of such an issue is the water crisis in Flint, Michigan that began in 2014.
Only by using an additional home water filter will you be able to remove these harmful elements from your water. Santevia's water filtration products have been tested in our Vancouver-based QA lab as well as in an independent third-party laboratory to reduce chlorine taste and odour, heavy metals, industrial chemicals, pharmaceutical elements and agricultural contaminants.
Additionally, your Santevia alkaline water filter will work not just to purify your tap water but also to improve its quality through raising the pH and re-mineralizing your water with trace minerals such as calcium and magnesium. Not only does this improve the taste of your water, but it also ensures you are getting the mineralized and alkaline water your body needs.
Is there research to support drinking alkaline water?
There is a growing body of research to support the benefits of maintaining your body at an optimum pH of 7.36. This research also provides an understanding of how drinking alkaline water can assist in maintaining this balance. Well-known organizations, such as the World Health Organization, conducted research regarding the need for mineralized drinking water. A number of authors have summarized this scientific data into easy-to-read books that help educate consumers. Here is a selection of topical books (many more available):
- Dr. Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD, ROHP, DNM; The Ultimate pH Solution. This book includes an extensive bibliography of related scientific papers.
- Dr. Richard Snyder, DO; What You Must Know About Kidney Disease. This book focuses on kidney disease and pH balance. Dr. Snyder also has a research paper specifically on the benefits of alkaline water and kidney patients.
A selection of Scientific Papers (many more available):
- Nutrients in Water, World Health Organization, ISBN 92 4 159398 9 (NLM classification: WA 687)
- Potential Benefits of pH 8.8 Alkaline Drinking Water as an Adjunct in the Treatment of Reflux Disease, Jamie A. Koufman, MD; Nikki Johnston, PhD
- Effects of Induced Metabolic Alkalosis on Prolonged Intermittent-Sprint Performance, David Bishop and Brett Claudius, Team Sport Research Group, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
- Effects of Bicarbonate-alkaline Mineralized Water on Gastric Functions and Functional Dyspepsia, Pharmacological Research, Vol 46, Issue 6, 525-531 Berton, et.al.
How can I test the pH of my water?
For the testing of water pH we recommend a liquid pH testing solution or an electronic instrument.
Note: you cannot use pH litmus paper to test water. We do not advise customers to check the pH of our water with litmus paper test strips due to the formulation of the test strips. pH test strips are typically used for mixed liquids such as blood, urine, or saliva but are not very accurate when measuring the pH of plain water. In addition, if the litmus paper is not formulated to check for mineral content (calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, etc.) which is what makes the Santevia water alkaline, you will get a "neutral" or non-result. Expected pH results are between 8.5-9.5 pH assuming the input water is a pH of 7.0.
I have a coconut allergy; can I use your systems as they use coconut carbon?
The primary two components for the Pitcher Filter are Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) and the Alkaline/Mineral ceramic balls. The GAC is made by heating coconut shells to over 800 degrees C, which reduces it to the elemental state of carbon. There are no allergens or proteins remaining/that could survive after that heat is applied. The Alkaline/Mineral ceramic balls are made from inorganic natural minerals (calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, etc.) and are fired as well. The Countertop model also uses these same methods and materials in manufacturing. This process destroys any proteins that would trigger an allergic response.
Shipping and Returns
Do you offer Free shipping?
We offer free ground shipping on orders over $99 and on MINA Alkaline Pitcher orders ($59.99 value) to the United States and Canada. Certain products may qualify for free shipping when promotions apply.
Which carrier do you use to ship?
Santevia may use FedEx, UPS, Canada Post, or USPS depending on the package size, destination and value of shipment.
Can I track my shipment?
Yes. After your package is shipped we will email a tracking number to you that you can use to track your shipment during its journey to you.
Can I return my product?
Yes. Santevia has a 30-day money back guarantee. If you are unhappy with your purchase you can return it to us. For more information see our money back guarantee policy.
Are the products BPA free?
Yes – all Santevia products are made without BPA, BPB & BPS.
What type of testing is done on Santevia products?
- Santevia has its own in-house testing laboratories: Research and Development as well as Quality Assurance.
- Santevia products are regularly tested at our in-house laboratories using the NSF protocols, with the goal of ensuring that they meet or exceed these standards.
- All new PO/Lot #’s are tested before being released into the marketplace.
- We also have our products tested by an independent third party laboratory on a regular basis to ensure that our products meet the standards set out for quality and performance.
I'm going on vacation, what can I do with my system while I'm gone?
Alkaline Water Pitcher: Empty your Pitcher and put in the refrigerator.
- Filtration Stick: Air dry the product.
- Gravity Water System (Countertop or Dispenser): Drain all water out of the system. Place the 5-Stage/Fluoride Filter in a plastic bag in the fridge. Do not store a used filter for more than 2-3 months.
Product specific questions
For product specific questions please check out our product information page here